Frequently Asked Questions

Can I register if I am not a student or graduate?
Why do you need to see ID when I register?
Do I need to provide a reference?
What happens after I have registered?
How do I submit my timesheet and get paid?
Will I pay tax and National Insurance (NI)?
What if I don’t have a National Insurance Number?
How do I request holiday pay?
Am I entitled to sick pay?
What if my details change?
How do I end my employment with ARU Temps and request a P45?
Will you provide a reference?
Do I have employment rights as an agency worker?
Pensions Auto Enrolment/Re-enrolment – what is it?
Other areas in Student Services

Can I register if I am not an ARU student or graduate?

Yes, we accept registrations from all candidates regardless of whether you are a student or graduate of ARU. We have a variety of full time and part time jobs including general office administration, PA, data entry, catering and many more.

Why do you need to see my ID when I register?

You need to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK – the most common form of acceptable ID for this purpose is a passport and if applicable a visa.

Do I need to provide a reference?

If you are not a student or graduate, we require two satisfactory references covering the last 2 years to complete your registration and if you have been in employment for the last 2 years, at least one referee should be a former employee. ARU Temps will request references and one of these may be your current employer.

What happens after I have registered?

Once you have fully registered, your account will be activated and you can apply for our vacancies online. We email and advertise our jobs online at regrettably we cannot guarantee work for you.

You must not work without having received a booking confirmation from the ARU Temps team.

How do I submit my timesheet and get paid? 

Temporary staff are paid on a monthly basis in line with the published deadlines which can be found under the useful information section of your ARU Temps online account. Learning to manage and budget money for the month is a skill we believe is extremely valuable for life after university.

Whilst payment is made monthly, it is expected that you complete your timesheet(s) on a weekly basis. Your timesheet needs to be submitted by 10.00am on the Monday following the previous week. Your hiring manager will need to authorise your timesheet by 2.00pm on the Monday in order to be processed that week. It is your responsibility to ensure that your hiring manager authorises your timesheet by the deadline. 

It is important to submit your timesheet weekly as this will enable us to keep your owed holiday pay up to date. It will also enable us to ensure Agency worker regulations come into effect if you are in the same assignment for 13 weeks or more.

If you are a new starter it will also help guarantee we have all of the necessary information and paperwork we require before the payroll is run.

Candidate timesheet instructions can be found on your ARU Temps online record, under useful information.

Will I pay tax and National Insurance (NI)?

Yes you may be liable to pay income tax and NI contributions. The standard tax free personal allowance for 2021/22 is £12,570 and is apportioned on a monthly basis. The personal allowance for national insurance is £1,048 per month. If you have overpaid tax you can take steps to reclaim at the end of the tax year (5 April).

For more information see:

Our Tax Office: HM Inspector of Taxes, Northeast Metropolitan Area, 119 Grange Road Middlesbrough, TS1 2DT
Ref: ARU Enterprises Ltd 120/E50543
Tel: 0300 200 3300

What if I don’t have a National Insurance number?

You will need to apply for a NI number by calling the Job Centre Plus on: 0800 141 2075. Make sure you have your passport number and visa details with you.

How do I request holiday pay?

As an agency worker, you are entitled to 5.6 weeks’ paid holiday in each year (this includes public and statutory bank holidays). Your holiday pay accrues each time you work and you can request this anytime throughout the year.

To find out how much holiday pay you have accrued or to request this please contact the office. At the end of the year and the end of each leave year (31 July), you will receive a payment of any holiday pay still owed to you.

Am I entitled to sick pay?

If you are sick for 4 consecutive days or more, including non-working days, whilst on an assignment you may be entitled to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). For further information on SSP please refer to – You will need to put a request for SSP in writing to us so that we can check your eligibility with our payroll team. Please email your request to [email protected]

What if my details change?

If you move house, change your phone number or change your bank account please update your details on your online record and contact your local ARU Temps office to inform us of the changes.

How do I end my employment with ARU Temps and request a P45?

Should you decide to end your work with ARU Temps for any reason you will need to let us know as soon as possible so we can arrange for a P45 to be raised for you and any outstanding holiday pay paid out in your final pay. To let us know, either visit us in the office or send us an email with details of your last working day so we can process this for you. Please also let us know if you would like your record archived.

Will you provide a reference?

We would be happy to provide an employer reference for you if you have worked for us. We will only provide employment dates and job titles. Please direct requests to [email protected]

Do I have employment rights as an agency worker?

Yes you do, from the day you start work you have a worker’s employment rights. For full details please visit:

Auto enrolment/Re-enrolment - What is it?

In a move to encourage greater long-term saving of the UK population towards their retirement, Pensions legislation (The Pensions Act 2008) will require us to automatically enrol people into a pension scheme if they are not already in one. The aim is to help more people have another income, on top of the State Pension, when they retire.

The legislation also requires us to automatically re-enrol employees who have opted out of their workplace pension scheme every three years.

What does this mean for me?

Here are a few key points:

  • For all agency workers who are currently active members of one of our pension schemes there will be no change and no action will be required
  • The law does not require every employed person to be automatically enrolled into a pension scheme - it depends on age and earnings. For agency workers who are not enrolled automatically, we have to provide the opportunity to opt in to a scheme.
  • Any agency worker, once enrolled, may elect to opt out of the scheme.
  • Every three years, we will be required to re-enrol all eligible staff who, at that time, are not members of a pension scheme, even if you have previously opted out.

How does it affect me?

If you are already a member of the NEST pension scheme then this does not immediately affect you. Your pension scheme membership won't be affected and there is no action you need to take.

Where can I find out more?

Department for Work and Pensions website

The Pensions Regulator website

If you have any questions about auto enrolment please email [email protected]

For more information about NEST visit:

Other areas within Student Services

ARU Temps is part of Student Services and there are a wide range of options available which are aimed at improving your student experience. Find out more information about all the services on offer by following the links below:

Counselling and Wellbeing Service

Employability Service

Student Advice Service



Student Experience Team

Student Money Advice Service

Disability and Dyslexia Support

University Chaplaincy